Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Looking Into the Future

Sometimes I am eager to go to work for a break from the stress and frustration of raising a 5 month old who is sick and teething and screaming and crying and thrashing and walloping my aching jaw with his head. Days like this I wonder if my children would be better off if I left them for a few hours each day. Fewer opportunities for me to hurt them that way. (Not that I will hurt them, I'm just saying there are lots of opportunities to lose control when you are with kids 24/7.)

There are many many days when I am desperate to stay home simply because I am exhausted from lack of sleep. And then... there are those sweet moments when my heart yearns to be home with Daniel all the time so I would not have to miss out on all the smiles and giggles and new discoveries.

So is being a stay-at-home-mom in my future?

I love my job but I love my family more. I know that we are happiest when we live our lives according to Heavenly Father's plan (which is outlined very well in the Proclamation to the World.) If I do continue working it will be because that is what is best for our family.

I have three options: Stay at work full time. Stay at home full time. And Voluntary Reduction in Work Schedule (VRWS). I can work and earn money for the family (and enjoy my job in the process) but also have the flexibility to take time off whenever I need or want to. Here's how it works: is an option I have as a State employee to give up a percentage of my pay for the same % in time off. The min reduction is 5%, the max is 30%. 5% = 13 extra days, 30% = 78 extra days. 78 extra days off a year! That's approx 4 months! I am seriously considering VRWS once James starts working because it is the next best thing to being a stay at home mom.

1 comment:

Marla said...

Lynn,
I have to say that you are an amazing mother. I have seen how diligent you are with your baby and the choic you will make will be the one that works for your family. If only we had more mothers like you! :)Have I told you that I love you blogging?