Saturday, February 20, 2010

Desligue a tv e vá ler um livro.

















My Parenting magazine tells me that exposure to artificial light at night, such as TV or computer screen (even if you are sleeping) may contribute to symptoms of depression. Huh. That could explain a few things.... "Ohio State University scientists suspect that interference with the biological clock's natural rhythm could play a role in feelings of depression."

But I also see a few other possibilities. Let's see: falling asleep in front of the TV? Spending lot's of time on the computer at night? I would say people are depressed before they sit down in front of said "artificial light". In addition, the activities of watching TV and being on the computer are (most likely) to be idle pursuits which dull the mind and kill the senses. I know I feel depressed after wasting time doing nothing. When instead I could have been doing something worthy of my precious time.


So I am going to turn of the tv/computer and go read a book. That's what MTV channel told me one day. And what was I doing during a perfectly beautiful day in Porto Alegre, Brasil? Watching TV when I could have been sitting out in the sun reading a book.

No comments: