I confess. I routinely allow Daniel to roam around on his own for a few minutes at a time. Usually I hear his handiwork as he plays, and I come to check up on him quite often, but perhaps not often enough. These are the adventures of an unattended child, and the confessions of his neglectful mother.
Daniel seems pretty pleased with himself. Donald Duck would be proud.
Hiding under the bed.
Stuck for a moment.
All smiles again.
He has discovered the cupboard doors.
The adventures have been cute up until now. Perhaps I have become to comfortable leaving him alone for a little while. On Sunday I came into Church with my arms full: Daniel, Church Bag, Diaper bag. I sat Daniel down while I hung up my coat. I decided to leave him for a second (OK more like 40 seconds) to drop off a few items in a near-by room. Of course a family would come in just as I walked away and see my child calmly sitting all alone in the corner of the coat room. I felt sure this family now knows me as that neglectful mom who left her child in the coat room.
Then yesterday I allowed Daniel to free range around the living room floor while we went about our business, but keeping him in eye sight. Later I took him to his room to change him and found this in his mouth. It once said: "Never leave child unattended." I wonder when I will find the rest of the label.
Apparently I should have read this warning on Sunday.
And this morning Daniel decided not to be my human alarm clock. I woke up at 7:30, the same time I should have been at work, and hear him quietly playing in his room. That should have tipped me off straight away because lately he screams for his bottle when he wakes. When I went in to say good morning to him I see him playing with this:
Apparently this was left affixed to his changing pad which is at the end of his crib.
Maybe this will be a wake up call, but maybe not. To be honest, no harm has been done...yet.












4 comments:
Oh Lynn, we have had our share of what you're going through. One time Brandon ripped every single document out of our filing cabinet. We had company over, and I shrieked LOL. I nearly died at the sight.
Kids will get into things, no mom is perfect, so don't beat yourself up. BTW I'm so glad you posted new pics, he gets cuter every time I see him!
So funny! I love the face where hes stuck under the bed and then he smiles again!
This is adorable! I literally laughed out loud. I think because I relate. :)
Oh darling, have you ever seen a child who was never left alone? They are *so* difficult and needy. You are doing young Daniel (and your entire family) a service. As far as baby-proofing goes, they tend to do it themselves at their own rate. As long as you move it once they start to scare you, you are doing a fine job. Loved your post!
Post a Comment