Wednesday, October 12, 2005

outings with my brasilain friends

My first day of class I noticed Fabrico, he was sitting right in front of me, and something quietly told me that I would be his friend. And Raquel and Alexandre as well. She had brought her cuia and thermos and was sharring her chimarrão with Fabricio and Alexandre (he went to penn state two years ago). Then a few weeks after there was the welcome back churrasco at Leandros (my professor). No, Fabrico wasnt there but thats the nght Maia and I went out to Cidade Baixa with Alexandre and Felipi. (That was the night we came across a crowd of Argentinians and I ended up going home after feeling overwhelmingly alone and without anyone to talk to in english, portugues or spanish.)

So because we were now buddies with Alexandre and Felipi thats how Fabricio was included in our outting groups. One day, I believe it was a tuesday night, yes the day before a holiday, (as always, why are all holidays on a wednesday, makes sence it makes the week go by much nicer)Felipi invited Maia over for creps, and by extention i was invited as well. Directly after class we all headed to Felipi's apartment. That was a fun evening. At his house we met a german guy, an italian girl, an australian girl, I think another nationality was represented...and a few other brasilains were there of course. Around 2am i think, we headed for cidade baixa. We ended up going to MrDam a fun dance club.

Next, don't remember exactly what came next, probably the free show at Opinião, Mundo Livre. A tuesday night show, free for students with a kilo of food. After we went to o Forte a sweet little dico bar, and the singer from the band showed up there later as well. Then there was another churrasco at Leandro's when Matt was here. And it ended up being Matt, Leandro, Eber (that makes three professors) Jeniffer, some other girl a past student of Leandro's, Maia, Fabricio and me. Jeniffer told us aboutthis palce for indian food, and we made plans to go for lunch.

So the day of the lunch outing arrived, and Jeniffer called to say that she would not be making it due to her mountain of work to prepare. And since Felipi cancled as well it was down to the two American students and Fabricio. The food was awesome so was the conversation. We talked, of other things, our dissatisfation with school, work, system of capitalism and democracy, lif in general and so many other things. After we mutualy decide to head to the park. I needed to read Jane Jacobs, Maia needed to work on her journal, and Fabricio needed to sleep, as he'd been up getting his project done. We picked out a place to sit and I had this odd feeling of self-awareness, seeing myself, our group, as I see other groups of friends sitting on the lawn.....hmmm how form relates to communiy use and activities....

Well after an hour of sleep, Fabricio woke up and I tell him he has two more hours left of sleep. But he didn't go back to sleep and after a little while we all headed in our own directions.
The very next day I headed to the park after class, not sure if i wanted to stay and work or walk through and head home for lunch. Well there on one of my becnhes of choice was Fabricio. The conversation didnt get far before once again he delcared "your good to me" Apparently he was feeling upset and could really use someone to just talk to. He was feeling angst. The next two hours passed before I knew it. It was probably one of the nicest, satisfying conversations I've had in a while, possible ever.

And I guess it was since then that I knew he'd be a dear friend. In class I found my self listening to everything he said with intent, though most of the time I had no idea what he was saying (he along with alexandre and bruno (the sweet carioka) are the three active participants of the class). Bruno also has a special place in my heart, Maia and I agree he is probably the sweetest person we've ever met, a very loving guy.

The next outing was another free tuesday night show. That day i had made Fabricio a gag gift: fake tattoos. Part of the conversation, the other day, was about his arguemnt with his mom about his birthday present,. she wanted him to buy a jacket and its spring now and unnecessary, so he thought a tattoo would be nice--he agreed, it was really juvenile but the principle was that she wanted to give him a gift that made her happy, not him). OK so I was able to give it to him the next day after Jeniffers presentation, and the response on his face was perfect, it was a mixture of surprise, humor and appreciation. "adorei/I love it."

No comments: